The birth of your child should be a momentous occasion, a beautiful celebration of life that you can look back on with fondness. But when a doctor’s miscalculation puts mom or baby at risk, the results can be terrifying.
Examples of Birth Injury
Birth injuries can cause permanent disability, forcing a newborn into a life that is an uphill battle. Birth injuries happen because doctors and medical workers make bad decisions during labor and delivery. A doctor’s negligence can end up compromising a child’s ability to move, speak, learn, and grow. Just one moment of negligent medical care can cause one of the scenarios below and alter a family’s life forever.
- A doctor who exerts too much force during delivery can cause physical injuries like shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus injuries, or broken/fractured bones.
- Failure to order a C-section when the conditions warrant one can cause serious injuries to mother and baby.
- Mismanaged epidural and pain control efforts can also have serious consequences.
- Lack of oxygen to a baby’s brain can cause persistent pulmonary hypertension or brain damage conditions like cerebral palsy.
- Failure to act according to standards of care when complications arise can cause serious harm to babies.
- Failure to respond to an unusual birth position properly is another form of negligence that can endanger a child.
Your Legal Rights
Whether it was a careless action or a failure to take appropriate action when necessary, your attorney will fight to hold people accountable for the harm they have caused. An experienced attorney will help you exercise your legal rights when an injustice has been committed. Caring for children suffering from a birth injury requires deep resources, so we will help you get the maximum compensation you need to care for an injured child now and in the future.
If a doctor or medical worker failed to uphold the reasonable standard of care necessary during labor and delivery, an experienced birth injury attorney can help your family find out what really went wrong. The various types of birth injury and your child’s symptoms and diagnosis will be discussed during your free initial consultation with your legal team.